Is it time for a Brave new world?

Thread starter #1

Basot

Hey people,

I don't know if I will be lynched for starting this, I hope not.
I noticed the 1.8 update is coming soon. There are many new materials (granite, etc.) and terrains (ocean temples for example). This update really sounds great.

There is much unexplored terrain on our server map, so I am sure all this will generate and be available to the players. This will mean more exploring and interesting new opportunities. It does, to me, feel a bit "messy" though.

Now, as a relative newbie on this server, compared to the veterans, I can not judge on the sentimental value of the current map or all the awesome builds that are on it. I am sure the thousands of hours that were spent in making the server what it is were well spent.

Would it however be conceivable to create a new map, blank and pristine? I for one would really like to build with the other players on a brand new map.
The nice thing would be that we could, together, create a new spawn area, roads, etc. from scratch.

I realize that it would also mean for the players that all work that is on the previous build will be gone. I myself would miss my buildings and tunnels and mines but also think that building from start again would be awesome. Starting a new map in Minecraft is always awesome. The new materials would make for new, even prettier buildings. And bunnies, lets not forget about more bunnies being on the server.
It could also be a great time to invite all the long gone players back.

What does everyone think?

Immaridel

Permenantly Retired
Staff member
It's a possibility, though the old server wouldn't necessarily be gone, as we could host it with limited resources and give people access to go visit. It's just something Matt and I will have to talk about some more.

wes

Mr. Rogers
Basot,

I used to play on the Reddit PVP Server, and it wiped about every three months roughly. There was an intense "land-rush" event when the new map was opened and the old one was wiped. (though it was made available as a download to those who wanted to roam them for old time's sake).

That fresh joy of finding a new home and starting over also came with the dread of losing all that you had fought (literally) for in loot, armor etc, and the hours and hours spent building out your infrastructure just evaporate. That's pretty tough to swallow.

I would also guess that our builds and infrastructure are part of the "selling-points" in the eyes of prospective Members. Its taken a long time collectively to accomplish all of this, and is a wide open new map as attractive to prospective players/donators? I don't know honestly.

That server's map was only about 3000 x 3000, and with a much higher active player base (40+ players on at peak times) so it got "played out" pretty quickly. I look at ours and see so much untouched map that I wonder if we can't accomplish what you're looking for with something besides a wipe, like Map expansion or regenerating untouched chunks on the existing map.

This is always a spirited topic. Anxious to see what the group thinks.

Cheers,

Wes

Thread starter #5

Basot

I think it's worth discussing even if it does mean Basot ends up getting lynched.
Well, someone needs to be at the front of the lynch mob. Usually its some guy running slightly slower than the guy behind him holding a pitchfork.

I see Wes' point that frequent map updates are not a good thing. I am not sure how long the current map has been up, but it has been a long time I think. Perhaps too few updates are just as bad? A discussion if the current time is good is what I am asking for.

Also an existing infrastructure is indeed important. On a new map some organisation would need to be done to create a welcoming spawn, some good starting positions, a bank, shops, roads, perhaps some mob-grinders and a place to display my hung and quartered body parts.
This could be an awesome project to do whilst still running the old map for new players and when the new map is ready, that can become the primary one. I think the introduction of the creative and role-playing maps were done mostly this way?

I am happy that Matt and Immaridel are open to the discussion. I hope it will indeed be a good one.

Last edited:

Immaridel

Permenantly Retired
Staff member
Honestly, it would be really easy to have both the original server and a new one up at the same time, so people wouldn't even lose anything. It's something Matt and I have discussed before, but the timing has never been right. I'll let @Matt jump in here when he feels like it, but I am personally open to the idea, as long as the old server remains available.

Thread starter #7

Basot

Honestly, it would be really easy to have both the original server and a new one up at the same time, so people wouldn't even lose anything. It's something Matt and I have discussed before, but the timing has never been right. I'll let @Matt jump in here when he feels like it, but I am personally open to the idea, as long as the old server remains available.
Would it be possible to transfer items between the maps?

Immaridel

Permenantly Retired
Staff member
Would it be possible to transfer items between the maps?
No, you can't do that. It would work just like when you go from gib to hardcore and back. Nothing moves between then but your connection.

The only way to achieve that would be to migrate the player data files, but there are additional considerations and issues with doing that.

I... I spent ages doing... stuff. And uh... I'll do it all again on a new map.

Toss the Dark Ages one.

SpiffiestJester

Salty Canadian
Staff member
Actually, I kind of agree with Rava on this, as much as this dismays me, the DA map seems to have stalled out to the point where it really looks like it isn't going to happen. Why not launch a second world, maybe a snapshot server, where we can mess with the game as it updates? As per all my comments feel free to ignore as you like.

cheers

Spiff

Ah, also, the lynching shall happen once we have a suitable posse available for said lynching. Basot be warned, we are coming.

Matt

Oppressive Owner
Staff member
I... I spent ages doing... stuff. And uh... I'll do it all again on a new map.

Toss the Dark Ages one.
Dark Ages, at this time anyway, consider tossed. It was a great idea and had great people working on it, but it was an ambitious project that no one has the time or energy for at the moment. Don't worry to all that participated. It's still intact.

Bristuhan

I'm still new here, too. I haven't completed any of the (too many) projects I've started. I'm okay with a new world. I would love the chance to build near spawn with the great people playing on this server. I've been so busy on my projects that I haven't checked out B Team yet....but I keep meaning to.

I spoke with some Minecraft players while I was at SOE Live and totally talked up GiB Craft. Playing on an adults only server is the only way to go.