Lack of squid spawns

Discussion in 'World Discussion' started by SoodleNoodle, Nov 30, 2017.

1. SoodleNoodle

SoodleNoodle New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    McStruction and I are really having trouble finding squid and thus having issues getting ink. I think I heard someone say that this was an issue on the Pure server and that traditional squid farms don't work.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial on a method that will work? TIA!

2. Crazydad543

Crazydad543 Member

Jul 24, 2016
    I found the problem.... Apparently the squids have their own mobile cap, but this mob cap is for the world wide. So if anyone else has chunks of ocean loaded then the spawn cap, may, be met already.... I'm hoping @Immaridel will fix this.

Vardogr likes this.
  3. SpiffiestJester

SpiffiestJester Salty Canadian Staff Member

Feb 9, 2014
    it's in the game code. there isn't much that can be done to fix it. This has been an issue for ages now, honestly, I can't even tell you how long.

Archlich likes this.
  4. SewingJoy24

SewingJoy24 Wheezy Mod Staff Member

Jun 23, 2014
    When I need ink I take a looting sword and go visit an afk person who is idling near an ocean. (check the dynmap) Always a massive amount of squid near them ripe for the de-inking.

Crazydad543 likes this.
  5. Vardogr

Vardogr Active Member

Jul 16, 2016
    I think I hit a similar issue with slime. I excavated over 40 chunks trying to find a slime chunk and haven't found one yet. I read they're supposed to be about 1 in 10 so should have found 4 by now so I suspect I have most likely excavated one but they just aren't spawning due to mob caps.

Archlich likes this.
  6. Immaridel

Immaridel Another Hairless Burn Victim Staff Member

Jun 9, 2013
    As spiff stated, this is ingrained into the game's code and not something I can fix. The issue is that between mob farms designed to spawn squids and people who just happen to be near water, squid spawns can get crippled real fast. I have attempted to increase to mob cap for water creatures before, but all that happens is that the areas where the squids are already spawning simply get more spawning there. Squids are just a very badly handled mob in the code, and the existence of farms designed to cause them to spawn only in specific places (and we do have some already) just make it even worse.

It's possible that through the creation of the monsters that I'm working on now, I might find an alternative way to spawn them, but there certainly is no elegant way to simply improve their spawning habits within the engine or spigot configurations.

7. wes

wes Active Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Time to go swimming with the ole Looting III sword. Don't overlook shallow bodies of water like swamps and rivers. With Depth strider III you can run-down squid pretty fast. Again, I know if the cap is maxed as noted above, that doesn't help you, but if you seize the opportunity when it does present itself, you can get a lot of ink in a very short time.

TimePilot and Crazydad543 like this.
  8. kryvian

kryvian Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    I live on an island in the middle of an ocean [shrugs]

Edit: on old pure I made the blinding perfection of a squid farm, from y60 to y40, with guardians on the corners and in the middle to kill them off fast so to not keep mob cap. also cleared all water on the surface and in the caves so that no squids spawned outside the farm. it ran with amazing perfection until 1.1 hit, since then it barely made any squids as long as there was someone other than me on the server. Just go and run about with looting 3 in the oceans.
    You can still check out my squid farm on old Prime server (world.gibcraft.com:30003) Residence name is /res tp mobtower, get out of the little stone room and look to your left, below

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Crazydad543 and Vardogr like this.
  9. Vardogr

Vardogr Active Member

Jul 16, 2016
    I think maybe auto-kill should be mandatory if people want to afk at a mob farm.

10. Archlich

Archlich Active Member

Jul 15, 2014
    On the GiB1.7 world they sold for almost $100 each. I thought I'd get rich farming them. I caught about 20. X)

11. SpiffiestJester

Feb 9, 2014
    Depends on the situation and no you're also not wrong. For the most part, people are using auto kill, there are some mobs that tend to ignore these setups and they sometimes build up, but for the most part people are very responsible with their farms. However, what Kryvian is talking about has nothing to do with the current topic at hand, you can have the most efficient squid farm available, but with the way the mob cap works, you can still have little to no spawns.

Back to your comment though. If people could set up mob farms where the collection area was 1x1 then there would be little to no problem as mobs will now be killed off when there are more than a certain number of mobs in a 1x1 area. I think the default is 20? I could be wrong on that number but it's certainly less than 30.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this server IS only little over a month old? There's plenty of back end tweaks that I am sure are going to happen to make life better. Keep reporting issues for us to investigate and we will do what we can to rectify them.

Cheers

Spiff

Crazydad543 likes this.
  12. kryvian

kryvian Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    My bad if I seemed off topic, the point I was trying to make was that squid farms don't really work with newer versions of minecraft.

SpiffiestJester likes this.
  13. Crazydad543

Crazydad543 Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Maybe..... Make squid farms in covered underground areas that are close to where alot of people are. With auto kill so you can just pop on whenever and at least have some drops

14. SpiffiestJester

Feb 9, 2014
    Not a bad idea but they only spawn at a certain level and oceans are pretty much always going to win for ease of spawning.

15. kryvian

kryvian Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    for squids to spawn, or at least spawn with ease the water needs to have sky above it, spawn zone is from y=60 to y40 or so I remember

SpiffiestJester likes this.
  16. SpiffiestJester

Feb 9, 2014
    I wasn't sure about the sky thing. I thought it to be true but couldn't be assed to look it up.. Thanks Kry

kryvian likes this.
  17. kryvian

kryvian Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    No problem, also the ocean update will probably break every darn last farm that uses sign posts, fences, and other transparent blocks that stop water; so be warned.