Looking for help setting up sorter/storage system

Thread starter #1
Well it's finally happened, I need to set up a system of storage. I saw someones autosorter the other day and that's all I can think about. I'm not to good with redstone stuff, so I'm hiring out. And I'm hoping to make more friends and learn more about redstone.
So if ur interested, just message me here or IG. And we can talk about prices.

Last edited:

Tijgerbos

Lives for the arena
I would like to help out, its just that I dont know what my brothers plans are^^ he just got back from being away for a long time and apparently he could be away again just before new year for half a year.

When I am on and have time I can help out with the sorter, but can also teach you some redstone if you want^^

If others want to help out they are free to do so^^ might help Crazydad more because it gets done sooner^^

Thread starter #3
That would be great! I know we will all probably be busy the next couple of days with Christmas, family stuff and all. So It could be a few days before I can get started on getting the area ready.
What size area would you recommend I clear out?

Tijgerbos

Lives for the arena
you count from where the hopperline will be placed that transports the goods over the sorter. so you have 1 line of hoppers facing to the side into the next one. then the space you need for the sorter is: 3 down and 3 or 4 to 1 of the sides (the opposing side will have the chests.

the 3 or 4 to the side depends on how you want the chests towards you or how you want the wall. if you want the sorters against each other you would need a overflow protecting design that is just 1 block more to the side. if you dont have this and 1 of the chests you have (for example cobble) is full, and the sorter is also filled up, then it would break the sorter next to it if you dont have this protection.
Here is a picture of a design with protection (that is done with that items you will place in the hopper (next to the comparator)
2016-12-25_17.05.39_2.png 2016-12-25_17.10.52.png
The first picture shows 1 sorter, the second a sorter next to it that is sorting items atm. so you see the redstone on the block behind the repeater being active. you can have more chests below those green chests if you want. you just place more hoppers behind them.

Of course I can help (or others) with building it. but this gives you a idea how you can do it.

DET2102 - Dan

I highly recommend overflow protection for common mined materials, cobble, stone, dirt, sand ext.
Also a warning for this design, I have noticed that if you load and unload the chunks while its sorting, it has a tendency to break. (like TP in drop of stuff, then TP out). I set mine up with an on off switch at the beginning, so i can turn it on and AFK while it sorts.

I think I saw someone use a hopper cart in place of the top hoppers.. I'm not sure how that works yet.

Tijgerbos

Lives for the arena
I have designed my own hopper/chestcart design also^^ I could post a picture of that also tomorrow or so if it is wanted. I designed it for my wheatfarm that of course gives seeds and wheat. but this could be used for a larger setup of course. in this design you dont need overflow protection for the redstone has 1 space between them. but in my design I havent worked with a overflow for 1 of the two goods. so if wheat would be piled up that sorter would just stop. but I can add a protection or the case when the sorted item is full the cart would continue also. but I would have to get on the design for a bit again to add that function^^. for me I have wheat just transported on and seeds get destroyed when it is full.

cullorblind

Mad Scientist
Staff member
I highly recommend overflow protection for common mined materials, cobble, stone, dirt, sand ext.
Also a warning for this design, I have noticed that if you load and unload the chunks while its sorting, it has a tendency to break. (like TP in drop of stuff, then TP out). I set mine up with an on off switch at the beginning, so i can turn it on and AFK while it sorts.

I think I saw someone use a hopper cart in place of the top hoppers.. I'm not sure how that works yet.
Here's the one I saw with the cart. The cart is optional, and is used solely for hiding the bottom part. Carts are also faster at moving items, but I'm not sure it's useful here.

Tijgerbos

Lives for the arena
Here's the one I saw with the cart. The cart is optional, and is used solely for hiding the bottom part. Carts are also faster at moving items, but I'm not sure it's useful here.
It isnt that usefull for the cart is only used to pull the items from the toilet down. not to help sort the items. that is still done with a regular sorting system that has the problem.
This is more for the fun design^^

Tijgerbos

Lives for the arena
This is the design I used for my wheatfarm. so it doesnt have the protection that it would send the cart away again if the storage is full.. would have to get behind the drawing board for that^^
2016-12-28_09.57.58.png
Cart drives up at the back one, if nothing to unload > rail keeps signal and cart is send on its way again. Something to unload > signal is removed till the cart is empty of the sorted goods and then gets send on its way. This could go on endlessly.
The problem in using this as a full storage sorter is that if you are full of lets say cobble, that if there is cobble in the cart, then the cart will stay at its unloading station and so other items in the chest arent sorted.. a way to prevent this is to have a overflow protection afterwards. like overflow items get transported to a destroying system or so. this is what I have for my seeds at least.

you can use chest carts and hopper carts with this design.

in this last picture I also added a idea to send carts back that still have items in them. so when you have 2 or 3 carts that you use
to sort items, that if lets say dirt is already being unloaded by cart 1, but cart 2 also has dirt. that it would keep rotating till that dirtsorter is free to unload. the most left line goes to your loading station of course^^
2016-12-28_10.11.08.png

I hope it helps a bit, when I have time I could help out with eater of the designs or a other thing you might want^^

I also also have a design that is 1,5 blocks wide with a sorter and a loading station for the sorted goods to be transported to the storage area. see image below
2016-12-28_10.17.08.png

Crazy I see a lot of replies here but I'm curious... did anyone actually take this job and help you build a storage system?

Tijgerbos

Lives for the arena
I didnt go to his place for it, but did post those pictures so he could do something himself back then (was to busy back then^^).
though I noticed something about that rail sorter... for some unknown reason the cart would start driving again while not empty yet..
so till I looked at it myself, it doesnt work as it should be..