Minecraft’s New 4K Textures & other changes coming this fall

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wes, Jun 16, 2017.

1. wes

wes Active Member

Feb 7, 2014
    For the Minecraft Geeks here, I thought I'd share this article on some changes texture including the "Super Duper" Graphics pack expected this fall.

I may not be a huge fan of Microsoft, but I like the look of what I'm seeing here.

Wes

Vardogr likes this.
  2. SewingJoy24

SewingJoy24 Active Member

Jun 23, 2014
    As cool as I think this looks... I have a feeling its going to just be havok on my computer which has an inferior graphics card.

3. SpiffiestJester

SpiffiestJester Salty Canadian Staff Member

Feb 9, 2014
    This is for xbox one x console, anyone wanting these graphics will need to run shaders and a demon graphics card. Sorry wes. Also announced, and very interesting, was cross platform play, win10, xbox, switch and pocket edition will be able to play together seamlessly. Playstation opted out saying that they cannot control the chat environment and as such cannot allow their players to be subjected to it. I was a little surprised that this was not Nintendo's stance as they have always been very protective of their player base.

Very scarily and the end of the post, Microsoft/Mojang said, "don't worry pc/java players, we will continue to support you"

Uh, I wasn't worried, until you said don't worry, so now I'm worried.

Kdog7799, Crazydad543 and Vardogr like this.
  4. Vardogr

Vardogr Active Member

Jul 16, 2016
    The shading on the sunset looks freaking gorgeous.

SpiffiestJester likes this.
  5. SpiffiestJester

Feb 9, 2014
    Yeah, I would like to see this shader pack, or something like it released to the java community, but as it's likely going to be M$ proprietary it's pretty unlikely. Take a look at the stone brick. The cracks and edges on them, oh man.

6. kryvian

kryvian Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    oh man that diamond ore, that terracota trimm... I'll have to re-make all the domes...

7. SpiffiestJester

Feb 9, 2014
    Oh god help you.

8. cullorblind

cullorblind Mad Scientist Staff Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Heh. It looks to me like they just ported optifine+shaders and part of the better foliage mod.

9. SpiffiestJester

Feb 9, 2014
    Wondered about that, but aren't the console/win10/pe versions a different architecture, ie non java?

10. cullorblind

Jun 17, 2013
    Yep. Hence the term ported. The win10/console/pe versions are written in C, and the PC version is java.

I would hope they wrote their own, but someone else definitely did it first.

Still curious to see how long they'll continue supporting the java version. They definitely seem to be adding functionality to the C version that's not in the java version. Time will only tell.

11. kryvian

kryvian Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Wouldn't it be technically better for us PC players to move from java to C/C#?

12. SpiffiestJester

Feb 9, 2014
    Yes but, that version is the Microsoft mod locked version of Minecraft, Minecraft Win10. Which is basically the xbox verson ported to windows. I am certain they will head that way someday, can't have players getting stuff for free.

I rather like being able to make my own skin and not have to pay to choose between Master Chief or Marcus from GoW.

kryvian likes this.
  13. cullorblind

Jun 17, 2013
    The C version would be wonderful if it was fully done and had complete api support. Without a good API implementation, you can't have permissions/residence/player teleports/shop signs/anti-griefing/rollback tools and all sorts of other mods that extend the experience from vanilla.

Another disadvantage is that they haven't ported it to run on Mac or Linux.

Edit: and Yeah.. paid skins from a pre-selected list is dumb.
    And: micro-transactions would kill it for me.

14. cullorblind

Jun 17, 2013
    On another note, I've been watching this for about the past year or so: RedPower the game. She was among the first technical modders for Minecraft and has been working on building it into a standalone game. Skim through and check out some of the screenshots/videos.

https://twitter.com/TheRealEloraam